Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dollhouse

Well, I just watched the series finale of "Dollhouse." Despite my best efforts, I forgot to watch it live last night, but thankfully, Hulu is still free to use and so I didn't miss it. Like all Joss Whedon projects, there is a bittersweet sense of completion to it. Some of the twists I called easily. Others I feel I should have.

One thing that's bugging me is the gap. The jump forward, I can understand, but I'm trying to figure out whether Joss crammed a season (or more) of what he planned to do with the series into what is normally the "previously on" segment, or if he initially intended us to be so in the dark. Frankly, I would watch an entire season or two covering what happened in that gap. I'm even tempted to read speculative fanfiction that attempts to fill in the gap. Those who know what a stickler I am for cannon will understand how impressive that is.

On the one hand, I'm glad that Dollhouse is over. It feels really and truly "done," plus, it means one less show for me to obsessively watch. On the other, I can't stand that it's over, because it was such a great series. Sadly, I feel that I grow more and more under Whedon's thrall with each project of his I encounter. At some point, I fully intend to work my way through everything he's publicly created - though I have too many pots in the fire at the moment.

I could try to work out a clever sign-off related to Dollhouse, but instead, I think I'll stick with a simple "Thank you, Joss."

No comments: